Saturday, December 11, 2010

Treasuring ourselves

I think I am like most people when I admit that I struggle with self-doubt.  I know also that I tend to take on the hurts, feelings, and pain of others onto myself and I always ask myself, "How could this be my fault?" And I do not mean this in a rhetorical, sarcastic manner, I mean I really try hard to see things as something wrong with me, so that I can try to go about working on fixing it.  I am reading the book Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.  I highly recommend it for anyone and everyone going through issues similar to mine, or even other common problems we face such as addictions or depression.  OR if you feel like those around you are being unfair.  Its just a all around great book. 

A quote from the book is this: "Remember, love and limits are the only clear boundaries.  If you react, you have lost your boundaries.  "Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man without self-control (Proverbs 25:28)."

The only way we can truely do this is to know that we are fully loved and accepted by God.  "We love because He first loved us"(1 John 4:19).  This is not a selfish concept, but a necessary one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment