Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ode to Famous Infertile Couples: Part 3

"My heart rejoices in the Lord; My horn is exalted in the Lord.  I smile at my enemies, Because I rejoice in Your salvation.  No one is holy like the Lord, For there is none besides You, Nor is there any rock like our God." (1 Samuel 2:1-2) Hannah's prayer




Hannah and Elkanah, the Old Testament couple who eventually had Samuel.  The first chapter of the first book of Samuel opens with his mother, Hannah, and her hurt and pain in her infertility.

"And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to the Lord and wept in anguish." (1 Sam 1:10) 

She prayed so hard and with such emotion at the temple, that the priest, Eli, thought she was drunk! (v.14)

Once Eli reassures her that God has heard her prayer, she is able to "eat and no longer be sad" (v.18)

Hannah's example gives me permission to approach God with all my anger and sadness, and then He always somehow reassures me of His promises.  That He is a God who hears us, and listens.  God loves to bless His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment