Saturday, January 1, 2011

Don't give up.

To finish up my thoughts from yesterdays post.  1 thing to note is this.  Jesus wins, God wins always.  Aubrey wrote on her blog yesterday, that God is a God much bigger than you or I, and maybe, just maybe, He knows best.  A pastor at the Christmas Eve service in the Woodlands told this story to illustrate. 

His dog had found and ingested serveal bottles of pills, Tylenol, Benadryl, and Advil.  The dog had no idea that now, he was going to die of overdose.  His owner jumped to action trying to get the dog to the vet and get his stomach pumped.  The dog fought his owner the entire way, would not get in the car, barking, and tried to run when they got to the vet. All the dog knew was that the owner was making things uncomfortable for him!  The owner thought to himself, I wish I could turn myself into a dog, so I could speak his language and tell him I am saving his life.  Well, that is what God did for us.  He turned himself into a human, came to us here on earth, and spoke our language to tell us we were killing ourselves in sin and we better not only listen but do what he says.  And here's another kicker.  The dog can't do anything to save himself, it is now up to the owner to get the job done.  And that is grace.  Jesus came and did it all. 

Ok, with God, there is always more.  So here's a bite of juicy steak for you.  Matthew 3.  John the baptist is preparing the way for Jesus.  He is warning the people to repent of their sins, while also saying v.11 "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." When Jesus arrives on the scene, he asks to be baptized by John, John disagrees, but Jesus says, v. 15 "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Jesus is doing several things here, He is completing a public act of humility-which God publicly honors Him for later with the dove and saying "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased" v. 17 Jesus is also recognizing John's ministery-as He himself, is the ultimate baptizer- that it is pleasing to God.  Just like my water baptism this year did not save me, it is a symbol of what God does within us.  Someone once said, it is like your wedding ring.  If you took off your wedding ring, your still married, that doesn't change, but baptizm is like the wedding ring is to marriage, it is a symbol of your love and gratitude to God.  It is an act of humility, and God will bless you for it.  I can say that, because that is what I experienced in July 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment