Friday, January 7, 2011

Don't give in.

Reflecting on The Temptation of Jesus in the wilderness.  One thing that struck me in Matthew 4:1-11, is how the devil tempts Jesus.  And one way is he actually quotes God's word! Satan can use Scripture out of context to try to trick us!! That is very scary. See v. 6-7.  Jesus rebukes Satan by standing firm with knowledge of who God is and who we are as God's created beings.  Satan says, "He...will lift you up..lest you dash your foot against a stone." from Psalm 91. (when trying to make Jesus think it's a good idea to throw himself down off a cliff)  But, Jesus knows that it is our job to "not put the Lord your God to the test" from Deut. 6:16. 

This is such a temptation in my life.  I think, ok God, you must be so impressed by me.  I pray, work with sick children, am good to my husband, so things should go pretty smooth for me right?  Then shocked, when things are actually more difficult at times.  The enemy would like me to think, "does God not love me?  Did God forget about me?"  God is actually strengthening me through fire and trials, and he will always protect me. 

Before that, Satan tempts hungry Jesus to use His power to turn the rocks into bread.  Jesus is starving, he has not eaten for 40 days!! Nobody would have really blamed Him for turning the stones to bread, it's not that big of a deal.  Oh man, how many times have I fallen to sin in this situation rather than resisted the temptation? To use my power to meet my needs, rather than exercise self control and delayed gratification.  I get grouchy when I get the slightest bit hungry, and think its ok to snap at Zach or other friends just cause I am hungry.  Or justify myself in anger and self pity, because friends didn't do something I thought that they should do for me.  That is not what God wants for us, and it is the enemy trying to pull us away from God's love.  Jesus is the only man on earth, in all history, who resisted such temptations.  With His help, we can resist them also!

Don't give in. 

Lord, Thank you for your forgiveness.  You have washed me clean and I am white as snow.  Help me to live a life that reflects what you have done for me. Help me to not forget Your love for me! I could not live without You, on Christ the solid rock I stand!   Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Haley for shedding light on this scripture. It is so good to think about it from a daughter's point of view. I also think about the verse in Romans, chapter 8:25 "But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we waitfor it patiently."

    ReplyDelete