Thursday, November 3, 2011

Enough.

Paul writes concerning an affliction that he has asked God to remove three times, and this is Jesus' reply:

(2 Corinthians 12:9) "But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."'

I feel like this week, God has been turning that statement into a question for me. 

"Haley, is my grace sufficient for you? Will you let My power be made perfect in your weakness?"

I feel weak in faith, scared and terrified.  Sometimes angry, which can quickly and easily turn to bitterness.  I am very prone to bitterness and covetedness, to the point where sometimes I have to moment by moment ask for God's help.  Angry tears followed by ... of all things, gratitude.  All part of this "Door B" Christian life of mine. 

Our pastor did a couple sermons on "Door A Christian life" verses "Door B Christian life." In Door A, the Christian falls in love with Jesus, repents of her sins, knows that it is by grace she has been saved not by works, and then expects that now everything should fall into place and God will "bless" her with health, wealth, and happiness all the rest of her days. She is then disillusioned when real life happens. 

On the other hand, in Door B, the Christian falls in love with Jesus, repents of her sins, knows that it is by grace she has been saved not by works, and understands that those same "blessings of God" go hand-in- hand with the trials, tribulations, and hardships of living in a broken world. 

Is His grace enough for me?

He does not leave us empty handed.  I underlined what God has given me. Like a soldier with a sword I use these words to fight off darkness, so it does not take over.

Romans 5:1-5

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

How could I hope for things I already have and see? How would that be faith? Whenever someone promises something to you, something important, they may say, "take my word for it." Or they may draw up a written contract, so you know they are bound to follow through with their promise.  Time and time again Scripture demonstrates that God keeps His promises. 

Whenever I buy some gas or some groceries, I use my debit card.  I swipe it, and I sign a little piece of paper that confirms I promise that that amount of money for the goods will be in my checking account and be transfered to that store.  They are taking my word for it, because it always takes a couple of days for the purchase to be processed. 

Like that store, I am told to wait.  And so I wait with hopeful expectation for whatever God has for me.  I hold on to the contract, and I take God's "word for it." Another thing I am learning is that God's timetable is not my own, it is not instant. 

Is His grace enough for me? Or does my security come from worldly people and things? He answers for me when I am weak.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

 His grace is enough for me!! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment