Saturday, February 5, 2011

Walk Like a Christian, talk like a Christian

This week has been absolutely banannas!  I really don't like the fact that I have to take time off work and the fact that I am not sitting on a beach or at a ski resort during this forced time off!   But, it has given me the opportunity to take care of the things that I have been neglecting lately.  I finally signed up for my 401k this week, I renewed my gym membership....went to the gym....spent time with parents, and most importantly, spent time with my Lord and Savior whom I love.  Having the opportunity to marinate over conversations and experiences of late, an article by Darrell Johnson had been coming to my mind.  Titled: Demands My All, he begins:

"'Life is difficult.'  That is the way M. Scott Peck begins his very helpful book The Road Less Traveled.  Most people do not see this truth.  Most people believe that life should be easy.  The road most traveled is the road of moaning and grumbling about life's difficulties.  The road less traveled is the road of accepting life's difficulties and meeting them head-on."

Some good stuff.  I want to take a closer look even.  At first glance, one may speculate that what Johnson is pointing out is that we should just "get over it," with little to no sympathy.  That we only have two choices in life, to be upset over the wrongs and hurts we endure or to pretend there are no wrongs or hurts.  A pitfall for many Christians is that we think we have to have it "all together" in order to be a good Christ follower, that if things are ugly and testing us we need to slap on a happy face, hide it so others don't know we struggle, for the world to see that as a Christain, you too, could have it "all together" like me.  This is a lie, and not what Jesus intended for his followers. 

(2 Corinthians 12:9)" But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

We have heard the term "take up your cross." 

(Matthew 16:24) "Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

I want to point out something here, Jesus is completely validating the fact that we each have a cross to bear.  I know believers and non-believers alike who suffer with depression, death of loved ones, betrayal, cancer, loniness, chronic pain, and regrets.  Jesus is not telling you to deny those very real pains, He is telling you to take up those hurts and pains, own them, and bring it to Him.  Denying myself does NOT mean denying my self worth, denying myself does NOT mean denying my feelings.  Denying myself does mean that I no longer answer to "Lord Haley"

D. Johnson says, "Human bondage in all its forms is the result of being our own gods."

If we can put aside our pride, jealousy, argumentative spirit, resentments, then we become free to be ourselves in a very honest and real way. 

This raw exposure of ourselves seems intimidating, Jesus doesn't want you to be a basket case either.  It is risky, to go against what the world tells you, and put your whole faith and joy in God.  But I know from experience, that it is completely worth it.  Remember, Jesus rose from the dead on Easter! He had to go through Good Friday, all the suffering and death, before he could overcome it. 

It is also just as important to remember that the gifts God has given you, the unique mixture of your personal checkbook, home, brain, heart, talents, feet, mouth, etc. when given to God for HIS benefit and glory will never leave you short changed in life. 

I have been reading Isaiah 43: 1-4 these past couple of days.  I like how these verses give me some answers and insight into 1. Who God is.  2. Who I am and 3. What that means for me.  When you go about denying yourself, its good to know what your doing it for (or Who in this case: God) and what we do receive in return.

God takes ownership of me (His creation)

"But now, this is what the Lord says- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." (v. 1)

God protects me

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." (v. 2)

Who is God?

"For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your sted. (v. 3)

Who are we?

"Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you," (v. 4)

God sacrifices for us

"I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life." (v. 4)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Haley, for that very well thought out post. You put into words so many feelings. Thank you again for the time and talent you put forth. It is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many true words! It's hard to know what it means to deny ourselves to follow Christ, but you've shared some very valuable insights.

    "If we can put aside our pride, jealousy, argumentative spirit, resentments, then we become free to be ourselves in a very honest and real way."

    That was especially true to me because I have been struggling with all those things lately! And I definitely am weighed down by them. I have a hard time not just bringing these things to Christ's feet, but leaving them there - haha. This walk with Christ will last throughout our lifetime and into eternity!

    ReplyDelete